Good school area in Glasgow

(10 Posts)
LiuuPiuu Wed 19-Apr-17 22:28:22

Hello Glaswegians! We are relocating to Glasgow soon and we'll be renting when we get there first and our budget would be around £700/800 per month. We've got one DS who is 5 and another DS who is just 1. We need at least 2 bedrooms and ideally we'd like a house with a garden.
We are looking for an area that is safe and family friendly with a good choice of Primary schools and nurseries.
I would appreciate any advice and insights on this matter.
Also not to offend anyone but what areas would be better to stay away from?!
We are moving from a small town and this whole thing is making my head spin so I am really hoping this will help us make the decision.

trixymalixy Thu 20-Apr-17 08:30:43

East Renfrewshire has some really good schools. Subsequently it is a bit more expensive to live in, but there is a wide range of housing available and I'm sure you could find something within your budget.

Timeandtune Thu 20-Apr-17 08:33:33

For that budget you could get a flat in Broomhill in the West End. They are just building a new primary school. The area is lovely - shops, park, excellent transport links.

LiuuPiuu Thu 20-Apr-17 13:22:55

Thanks for the reply. Are all the schools good there or are there some that stand out? Just asking because of the catchment areas..

LiuuPiuu Thu 20-Apr-17 13:24:02

In East Renfrewshire I mean.. lol (grin)

trixymalixy Thu 20-Apr-17 13:40:51

Of the secondary schools Williamwood, Mearns castle and St Ninian's stand out. The latter is a catholic school, the other two are non denominational.

LiuuPiuu Thu 20-Apr-17 13:51:33

What about primaries?

MadameCumberbatchio Thu 20-Apr-17 18:09:39

Primaries in East Renfrewshire are much the same so long as they're in Giffnock, Clarkston, busby or newton Mearns.

Alternatively - schools not as great but more house for your money in East Kilbride- its on the same train line as clarkston busby and Giffnock

Scout129 Thu 20-Apr-17 19:01:00

Milngavie and Bearsden (East Dunbartonshire) have really good high schools and lots of primary schools feeding into them, you would be able to rent for that amount but would get less for your money if thinking of buying.

I would also second Broomhill as its very close to the West End and is a lovely area.

Weegiemummy Fri 21-Apr-17 11:00:04

I'm assuming your 5 year old has already started school? If you're moving from outside Scotland there might be a change in school year, depending on when their birthday is.
If starting school I can't recommend my kids school highly enough - they're all at Glasgow Gaelic School and it's brilliant. There are 2 primaries now, north and south of the river, and it doesn't matter where you live within Glasgow city. Means we can live in a scummy bit of town (we live here because we're involved with a church here) but the children are getting a good education, and they're bilingual!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now