Primary schools near Blackheath Standard

(15 Posts)
motherinse3 Tue 29-Mar-16 22:56:39

Hello. We are fairly new to Greenwich and would really love some information on the primary schools near Blackheath Standard - especially Invicta, Our Lady of Grace and Blackheath Prep. Does anyone have any experience of these schools? Any thoughts/knowledge would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

greenwichexplorer Fri 01-Apr-16 09:21:19

Hi there. I'm moving to the Greenwich/Blackheath area with my family in the next few months so am also looking for information on primary schools. After exploring online I think for me it's going to be a choice between Halstow, Invicta and Sherington. I recently had a tour of Blackheath Prep and I liked it a lot, the staff and children were very polite and friendly and the facilities were good too. Any local information about the current situation in these and other schools would be great - is there a reletively new head at Halstow? Also, as they are all currently oversubscribed, I'm wondering about my chances of getting in by doing an in-year application? Thanks!

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Mon 04-Apr-16 12:37:44

Halstow is massively oversubscribed. Even if you bought a house on the doorstep you would be v fortunate to get a place on an in year transfer.

For all three schools it is my understanding that you need to be a) not only be "in catchment" but live within metres of the front door of the school [actual distances available from Greenwich council website as these vary from year to year] and b) apply for Reception entry. After that all bets are off.

The prep has a good reputation but is also very in demand particularly at entry level. In my experience, most of the independent schools in the area [Blackheath Prep, Pointers [near the Standard], Blackheath High School [girls only] and Heath House will have spaces freeing up as ex pat families return home or move again.

shipsladyg Mon 11-Apr-16 19:49:47

I'm a Prep Mum. What do you want to know?

One thing that instantly springs to mind is that the Prep no longer have a sibling policy (unofficial or official) which may be a consideration. It's worth booking a look round. Oh and check out Jr Choir of the Year on Songs of Praise two Sunday's ago and this coming weekend; the school features.

We didn't like Pointers. In our opinion, The headmaster was rude about Muslims and Gay Families. Whilst I want a Chrisitian influence in our children's upbringing, that was too Fundie for my liking.

kimann Tue 21-Mar-17 23:17:31

shipsladyg - does your child enjoy going to BP? Hoping to get my girl into it this year!

TheGreenWitch Wed 22-Mar-17 07:01:07

We turned down a place at the Prep for a place at Invicta. We love the school. We saw Halstow and Sherrington, too.
DS is very happy at Invicta and enjoys going to school. The staff are superb and the head and exec head are doing a fantastic job. My only concern is if either of them ever leave!

TheGreenWitch Wed 22-Mar-17 07:02:02

Argh! Just seen this is an old thread...sorry...

andsoshesays Tue 28-Mar-17 22:57:34

Hey - did anyone get a Blackheath prep place for this year?

user1492521358 Tue 18-Apr-17 14:43:07

Hi lovely Mums, from website I understand that Blackheath prep is almost £4300 per term (fee+lunch+swimming). Is someone able to advice how much more it will cost for other expenses like uniforms, trips, etc please? This will help me decide better, right now I am completely blank as to what to expect.
Thanks!

tigerbear Tue 18-Apr-17 18:44:12

It's worth looking at All Saints too - it's right on the Heath. Closest you'll get to having a private education for your DC without having to pay. My DD is in year 1 and loves it.
They've recently expanded and gone from one form entry to two, but it still retains a 'village school' feel.

kimann Mon 24-Apr-17 21:15:49

Does anyone know if BHP might free spaces up for 4+ years (next year?)

thanks!

shipsladyg Tue 25-Apr-17 00:20:49

BHP Extras... clubs start from about £45 each per term until 4:15pm. Late stay until 5pm is £7; breakfast club is a bit more.

Uniform - there's a reasonable second hand sale each term or check out Hewitts website for cost new. No silly boaters nor blazers; quite a practical uniform really but the only cheaper substitutes available (e.g. For cord's) are from John Lewis

School trips & outside speakers about an extra £50 a term.

Spaces do appear every so often. My oldest was on the reserve for nursery.

shipsladyg Tue 25-Apr-17 00:26:07

If you need good wrap around care, Pointers & Colfes are better IMO than BHP

andsoshesays Fri 28-Apr-17 07:04:11

Hi shipslady - thanks for info. Can I ask how long it took for you to be offered a place from the reserve list? Any tips? Thanks

fineweather Sat 29-Apr-17 00:02:11

Hi everyone. Colfes parent here. My DC love it. Very friendly, family type school. Great for sports/drama/arts/music. Pastoral care v good. Plenty of Colfes teachers have their DCs in the prep school which is a good sign in my opinion. We found the term fee includes nearly everything. Mine currently in senior sch and doing very well academically. Colfes give many scholarships/bursaries.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now