Thinking of moving to Aldershot

(16 Posts)
meandmyboy42 Tue 27-Dec-16 09:06:22

Today 09:00 movingonishard

Thinking of moving to Aldershot and would like a bit more info on the areas I'm looking at: Cargate, church lane east/west, grosvenor road ( the end furthest from town) and any other areas around there. Basically walking distance of the station and Weybourne Road.
Tia

roseteapot101 Tue 27-Dec-16 09:24:08

personally i would not Aldershot is a military town lots of drunken squadies at night .When my other half worked security he would do cover work and he would avoid any shift work going there.

I dont know if its gotten better but personally i would avoid it entirely,look up camberley frimley much better

meandmyboy42 Tue 27-Dec-16 09:30:24

I thought there were very few squaddies there now?!

roseteapot101 Tue 27-Dec-16 09:35:43

I moved from the area about 4 years so may have gotten better but it was a run down place with crime.I went to a secondary there it was awful to

There are much nice places even farnborough was much nicer but frimley,camberley were good .I moved away to be closer to relatives

Violetcharlotte Tue 27-Dec-16 09:36:02

Hi OP sorry but I'd avoid Aldershot. It's really not a very nice town, very run down in some parts. We've been there for football tournaments and had some nasty experiences with payers and parents from some of the local teams. (This is obviously just my personal view and not intended to be offensive to anyone who lives there. Just what I've experienced).

meandmyboy42 Tue 27-Dec-16 09:48:22

Agree the town centre is awful but the areas I've mentioned are outside the centre.
Is there often trouble at the station?

meandmyboy42 Tue 27-Dec-16 11:02:17

What about around Boxalls lane, park road,coronation road, etc?

Hearditonthegrapevyne Tue 27-Dec-16 23:11:19

It's all horrible. There are large pockets of deprivation. The secondary school has repeatedly poor results which reflect the attitude of much of its intake rather than the staff. There's a lot of racism towards the large Nepalese community. It's probably the worst town to move to in the area. As a pp said, try Farnborough or Camberley or Frimley.

roseteapot101 Wed 28-Dec-16 15:24:50

i went to a secondary in aldershot and it was the worst school i ever had the displeasure of attending.I was beaten on multiple occasions by other students and quite frankly the head did not care.I have some problems with the way i learn and if you were special needs you were a target.

I was repeatedly told that i would not be able to do things, they were not bothered to encourage special needs students.For example i wanted to learn to play the piano i was told no you cant do that here's a xylophone instead.Thats just one example of many

My needs were not even severe i just needed a little help and patience .Imagine if you have children and they end up in the secondary all the children from the deprived areas as well as the nicer areas will mix.One particular problem my teachers had was trying to reign in unruly children thus the education suffered

meandmyboy42 Wed 28-Dec-16 16:36:47

As mentioned school is already sorted out - not at an Aldershot schoo!

Violetcharlotte Wed 28-Dec-16 21:15:11

I can't see anywhere in your post where you said the school was sorted?

meandmyboy42 Wed 28-Dec-16 22:27:55

Sorry - I have another conversation running on this and mentioned it there. Apologies for the confusion.

meandmyboy42 Mon 02-Jan-17 20:13:36

Today 17:49 movingonishard

Sounds as like a resounding "avoid" then! Having had a chance to wander around there, i would agree. I certainly didn't feel as "safe" as I do where I live at the moment. Thanks for all the comments - really helpfulsmile

CasparMum Thu 02-Feb-17 18:19:17

Camberley is on a branch line, so you would have to change trains to get into London.
Aldershot is a bit run down - there are some new parts and regeneration going on but the schools are still a mess.
If you want to go out and party, with squaddies, and don't have kids it is fine, we used to live there but moved when DS was born.
Farnborough is better, but a bit of a dormitory town. Fleet is lovely, but expensive.

BigBoobiedBertha Fri 03-Feb-17 06:21:57

Personally I would avoid Aldershot too. I used to live in North Camp which is the edge of Farnborough and that was close enough. They are trying to improve it and the Army has shrunk quite a lot from what it was but it is still very run down. I've lived in Frimley and Camberley too.

Farnham is another option, the next town along from Aldershot and very nice but expensive.

I would go for Farnborough. The train station has the best links if you want to go into London or south. Yes, it is a bit of a dormitory town but given the choice I would live in the nice bits of Farnborough and shop in Camberley as it isn't far. Farnborough, Camberley Aldershot and Farnham are so close together it is easy to live in one and use the facilities of the others.

user1494237944 Mon 15-May-17 08:22:38

As usual it is 'lets bash Aldershot'. I have lived here for 10 years on the Aldershot/Weybourne side. DCs went to Infants in Aldershot but admit now at school in Weybourne. Aldershot has problems - where doesn't and the huge influx of Gurka familes over the last 10 years on both here and Farnborough has placed strain on the NHS and education. Still we do have a cinema, bowling alley, swimming pool and outdoor Lido, excellent childrens' playground in Aldershot Park, cricket club (DS) plays there and due to the Army a Ski centre which is good for do-nutting, snow boarding and ski lessons. Also has a Police station and main line train to Waterloo. Farnham is lovely with great places to eat and drink (loads actually) and independent shops but nothing for teenagers - they just loiter in Gostry Meadows and the skate park or in The Bourne. Farnham Police station closed down, was flattened and now a retirement complex. The Army presence has dramatically diminished over the last 10-15 years and great sways of area that were barracks are being redevelop with housing.
Yes the town centre is dire but so are many. My advice would be to go and look for yourself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now