What are the better hospitals to choose to give birth/have antenatal care

(5 Posts)
carlalou76 Tue 25-Apr-17 07:25:18

Hi

I live in Northolt and moved down here from the Midlands two years ago. I have just found out I am pregnant (4 weeks) and I called my doctors to book an appt, only to be told that I have to make contact directly with a hospital as opposed to seeing a GP and it being done through them. I don't have a clue and this is my first pregnancy. I would really appreciate some recommendations (and places to avoid!)

MargheritaPizza Mon 01-May-17 09:12:04

Personally I would choose on distance mainly. Both for convenience of antenatal appointments and for getting to the hospital in labour. I had both my children at Northwick Park. The maternity unit was put in special measures a long time ago (maybe 10 / 15 years) and a lot of people still think it has a bad reputation. I had a good experience with antenatal care and birth (I had caesareans both times so may not be a typical experience I know). Postnatal was very busy and I do think care suffered with midwives not having enough time to really support women with breastfeeding etc. But I've heard very similar from people who had their babies at other hospitals.

Good luck choosing and with your pregnancy.

Bluetopaz82 Mon 01-May-17 18:17:45

Avoid Northwick Park if you can. I had an absolutely dreadful experience there which has caused PTSD and the complaint is still ongoing through the NHS ombudsman as was so serious. It's affected me severely physically and psychologically.

Bluetopaz82 Mon 01-May-17 18:19:34

I would also add it wasn't an isolated incident. Obviously the 'main' incident was traumatising but throughout the complaints process there has been a theme of avoidance. Withholding evidence and stalling from at least 3 departments. Very unprofessional and untrustworthy hospital

LocalEditorEalingHarrowBrent Sat 13-May-17 14:13:47

Hello, Harrow Editor here. Just to let you know that NHS North West London have been in touch with us and asked to share their new website with you where you can share your experiences so they can improve the maternity care in the area. I have just created a thread with more information.

This also fits in with Mumsnet's latest campaign on #BetterPostnatalCare - www.mumsnet.com/campaigns/better-postnatal-care/the-mumsnet-campaign-for-better-postnatal-care

flowers to those who had a tough time and good luck to all mums-to-be!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now