Smarden Grammar Options

(5 Posts)
StarTravels Tue 14-Mar-17 11:06:24

Hello

We are considering moving to Smarden so I'm investigating options for secondary grammar schools. Our nearest is Cranbrook School but the admissions policy says we are out of the catchment area in Smarden even though its our nearest Grammar. (They specify 8.5km and I think the property is around 13km away)

I can't find any other boys grammars that are nearby!

I'm interested in whether we could potentially get into Cranbrook even though we would be outside the catchment area?

And if not, which good boys grammars we would be able to consider?

Thanks for your help!

fatbottomgirl67 Tue 14-Mar-17 11:20:24

Not a big expert on boys grammar schools but I believe if you are out of catchment for Cranbrook you can still go but would have to board. The other options would be Norton Knatch in Ashford, MGS in Maidstone , Judd in Tonbridge and Skinners in tbw. You will have to check the catchment for each as no idea from smarden. Cranbrook is going through a tough time right now so it's worth looking around. Hope that helps

StarTravels Tue 14-Mar-17 11:44:50

Thanks for the reply fbg.

I think Tonbridge or Tunbridge Wells would be a bit far. Google is telling me its around 50 minutes, so I'd hate to think about doing that in rush hour every day.

It's frustrating that its not possible to go to the nearest grammar! I'm not sure how I would feel about him boarding... It seems Smarden is in a bit of schooling black hole.

I hadn't heard of Norton Knatch, so thank you, I will have a look!

FrazzledInCranbrook Tue 14-Mar-17 13:43:55

How old are your DC? For years, Cranbrook has been 13+ entry but will be admitting from 11+ starting this September. Only 30 Y7 places for the first couple of years, rising to 60 after that. Worth ringing the school to see what your chances might be if you're out of catchment?

FrazzledInCranbrook Tue 14-Mar-17 13:45:28

PS, lots of the grammar school kids go by train, according to my commuter DH. Would that be a possibility for Tonbridge etc?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now