Any businesses, journalists or researchers looking to post on Local talk must pay a small fee for a pinned thread. On starting a new thread, please make sure you select the 'Pin this thread' option. If you have any questions, please contact your local editor directly or email local@mumsnet.com

Moving to Otley

(2 Posts)
Giolondon Wed 15-Mar-17 20:40:44

Hello,
I am new to Mumsnet and have joined to seek advice re moving to Otley. We have primary school aged children and are relocating to Leeds for work reasons. Otley seems a very nice area with affordable houses and good services.
What can you tell me about primary schools and their links with secondary schools? I know Prince Henry Grammar and St Mary's Menston are top of the league but is it easy to get in if you are local / attending a Catholic school?
Also, how is it in terms of local clubs for children (i.e. ballet, football, choir)?
Thanks in advance for your help!

whatsthatcomingoverthehill Thu 16-Mar-17 11:10:42

Otley is great, good choice!

I think St Mary's is very difficult to get into if you're not Catholic. Their admissions criteria links to attendance at local(ish) catholic primary schools. Prince Henrys doesn't have any link to primary schools, it's purely based on distance from the school, but if you're in Otley you should get in.

I don't know the primary schools directly, but I think they're generally decent. It can also be worth considering some of the village schools in surrounding areas which tend to be undersubscribed and smaller (if you like that sort of thing).

As far as activities go I'm sure you'll be fine. If there isn't something you want in Otley itself you're close enough to Leeds, Harrogate, Ilkley etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now