Council house offer on Acre Road, any info appreciated

(14 Posts)
heidismum1 Sat 25-Mar-17 16:46:10

I have been offered a house on Acre Road, LS10 4EG and was all set to accept it when I read that Middleton is the bad part of Leeds.
I am worried as we would be bringing my elderly mother as I am her carer and I need somewhere safe. I may be leaving her alone for prolonged periods. PLUS the fact that we are a mixed race family (black and white). I can't privately rent so council is my only option.
Does any one know the area? Can you tell me if it's ethnically diverse, quiet etc or are the opinions the interenet offers on Middleton justified

justbeinreal Sat 25-Mar-17 17:19:38

It's not the greatest and the area does have some problems.
I wouldn't have thought the ethnic diversity would be an issue it's general deprivation and crime levels.
Same as anywhere though you'll find good friends and neighbours around

heidismum1 Sat 25-Mar-17 17:26:13

Thanks, I have also have the option of LS21 2EL in a place called Otley. It seemed to be a very small village so I ruled it out as I really doubt my family would blend in. We don't want to be the only mixed race /black people lol I think the Middleton house based on what you have said sounds ok. I'm not expecting utopia just somewhere that we could live a quiet life

teaandcakeat8 Sat 25-Mar-17 17:32:43

I live in leeds, would go for Otley every time!

It's still really a suburb although further out than Middleton. Leeds is a huge multi cultural city, I doubt you will stand out.

heidismum1 Sat 25-Mar-17 17:35:45

Thanks tea and cake! The Otley house is lovely and I know the city is multicultural. My concern with Otley was it's a village and I come from a village and am leaving due to racism. That's why Otley scared me...
However my village is no where near anywhere multicultutal

justbeinreal Sat 25-Mar-17 17:42:38

Otley isn't as rural as
You think it's a town not a village, much nicer and safer option!! Travelling distance of Leeds centre!

Monkeymarbles Sat 25-Mar-17 18:12:36

Otley is lovely. My friends lived there as a mixed race family and had no issues, though it is predominantly white.
North west leeds in general is really great.
Is transport/work an issue?

heidismum1 Sat 25-Mar-17 19:12:31

No, I have no issues re work I work from home all I need is a computer, wifi and a desk! Hmm really considering Otley now

MoreCrackThanHarlem Sat 25-Mar-17 19:19:37

Absolutely I would choose Otley.
It's not a rural backwater, has lovely parks and places to walk and eat. The MP is Liberal Democrat; it's certainly more liberal and forward thinking than Middleton. I would say you were far more likely to encounter racism in Middleton!

smallestbear Sat 25-Mar-17 19:19:44

Google "Let's Move to Otley", there's a great Guardian profile which really praises it

NotTodaySatan Sat 25-Mar-17 20:00:43

Otley vs Middleton?

That might be the biggest no-brainer I've ever heard grin. Otley x a bazillion.

DawnOfTheDee Sat 25-Mar-17 21:10:24

Otley Otley Otely!

It's lovely and doesn't really have a 'little village' feel iykwim. It's more a small town. Beautiful place too.

Go for Otley!

Jellybean85 Sat 01-Apr-17 20:58:49

Did you decide? Hope you got sorted op otley is gorgeous!

Itellyou Wed 17-May-17 11:20:58

We have just moved to otley. Its lovely now we just have to find our way around. Thanks so much all flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now