Lewisham hospital or St Thomas or Kings?

(17 Posts)
MimiP78 Fri 03-Feb-17 23:33:42

Hi, I'm pregnant and have registered to give birth at Lewisham hospital. I've heard some bad stories about other mums's experience and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice? I've checked the NHS choice website and they seem to be okay. I could go to St Thomas or Kings but Lewisham is the nearest to me. I'm slightly anxious about this because it's my first child and I have no idea about how I can choose where to give birth! I'm willing to go further if this means a safer and better experience!

Thanks in advance!

ghostspirit Fri 03-Feb-17 23:40:06

I found lewisham to be horrible. But that was 9 years ago. It may be better now. I just felt the midwifes are very cold. And rude. They don't listen to you. But as I said that was 9 years ago. I don't know the other hospitals. Are you going to have strong pain relief ect? The birthing centre in Lewisham looks nice but I don't know what midwifes are like.

MimiP78 Sat 04-Feb-17 08:31:51

This is my first so I don't know. I like the idea of a natural birth but not sure I'll be able to cope with the pain !

Thank you for sharing your experience and I'm sorry it wasn't a good one. It's a scary thought that I may not have a good care if I go there. My friend chose Kings despite the fact it's harder to get to because she had heard bad things too and I just want to check with others. I may consider it or even ST Thomas.

ghostspirit Sat 04-Feb-17 09:02:40

How about bromley?

MimiP78 Sat 04-Feb-17 11:17:08

I wasn't given the option. Just Lewisham, Kings or St Thomas

ghostspirit Sat 04-Feb-17 11:55:46

Oh I thought you could give birth where you wanted to.

glorious Sat 04-Feb-17 14:19:51

The birth centre at Lewisham was absolutely great in 2013 when I had DD. The postnatal ward was awful but they are everywhere. I've heard mixed reviews about the delivery suite.

BlondeOnRed Sat 04-Feb-17 14:57:31

Ghostspirit Bromley hospital closed down years ago. You have to go to Princess Royal at Farnborough instead now

ghostspirit Sat 04-Feb-17 15:00:16

Oh I thought pru and bromley was same thing grin there may be some reviews op?

LondonMother Sat 04-Feb-17 15:01:07

OP, you'd do much better to post this in the main Mumsnet area as you'll get a wider range of experiences. Don't go by a tiny sample of people you don't know. FWIW, both my children were born at Lewisham and it was absolutely fine - but no use to you as it was nearly a quarter of a century ago (gulp).

MrsHoolie Sat 04-Feb-17 15:32:03

I had one at Lewisham,and one at Kings.
Kings was much better (both me and baby stayed for a week after). However,I had my two before the birth centre at Lewisham had opened. Had loads of friends who have had used the birth centre and they said it was fantastic,and great midwives. If I were in your shoes I'd go to Lewisham. No way would I want to go all the way to St Thomas' in labour!

MimiP78 Sun 05-Feb-17 18:52:02

Thank you so much for the advice! It's the first time I post something as I've just registered, so this is v helpful. I have a scan booked at Lewisham so I'll see how it goes there.

MrsHoolie Sun 05-Feb-17 19:18:57

Just keep in mind OP that all hospitals (especially) in London are very busy. So it's usual to hear that post natal care is poor in any of them. If you have a straight forward delivery then you'll be able to go home straight away and miss out on the bad care!

MimiP78 Sun 05-Feb-17 19:24:55

Thanks. I think I'm slightly anxious as I'm not exactly young - 38 and after years of trying, it has finally happened! So far so good :-)

MrsHoolie Sun 05-Feb-17 23:10:16

Congratulations,exciting times ahead. Your not that old!

MimiP78 Tue 07-Feb-17 18:15:55

Argh thanks!

somethingrosier Wed 24-May-17 12:53:07

I went to Lewisham Hospital last year. Birth centre was perfectly fine, everyone was great. The post-natal ward was a bit shit but it was the day of the junior doctors strike too. I discharged myself in the end, but no real complaints.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now