Secondary Schools' Offers Day is this Wednesday, 1 March - join the local chat if you could do with some handholding

(8 Posts)
LocalEditorMerton Mon 27-Feb-17 09:35:44

It's that time of the year again, when those of us with Year 6 DC are likely to be getting more than a little bit stressed about which secondary school our LO is going to be allocated.

Whether you've already 'done and dusted' it in recent years, are going through it, or have it 'yet to come', it would be great to hear your views and share local knowledge/insights about secondary schools and the whole admissions/appeals/waiting list process.

Good luck for Wednesday!

Kate

twistedblister Mon 27-Feb-17 12:11:52

I am waiting with baited breath, not helped by the current shortage of places I will be happy to get 1st, 2nd or 3rd choice.

Stargazey44 Sat 04-Mar-17 18:21:56

Anyone else's daughter offered a place at Ricards for September? Thoughts?

Willemdefoeismine Sat 04-Mar-17 19:13:46

Hi Stargazey44 it was our third choice and although DD was a bit disappointed not to be going to the same girls secondary school as her BFF from nursery days, we're happy with it - indeed we've decided it's really the right school for DD (and won't be waiting to see if she gets her first or second choice from the waiting list). We have lots of friends whose DDs have gone there and that is good enough for us.

We're all happy. TBQH it's what you'd hope for in a school - a real cultural and socio-economic mix of girls in a naice part of SW19. The catchment area seems to be a 2mile radius so all the girls are localish.

I do not know anyone (parents or pupils) with a recent experience of RL who has anything bad to say about it.

Do you have any concerns, and if so, what are they?

Stargazey44 Sat 04-Mar-17 20:08:59

Hi Willem, thanks for responding. No real concerns, just slight wobbles as it was a slightly left field choice for us, as her sister is at a French school and none of DD's friends are going to Ricards. I felt it was the right school for DD as she is not academically confident, but I think will thrive in a friendly supportive school environment and she loves art, drama, music and sport. Ricards seems to offer all those positive things. I guess I am mostly trying to garner positive opinions of Ricards from people in the know for reassurance really, and your response has certainly helped in that respect so thank you!

Willemdefoeismine Sun 05-Mar-17 07:06:00

I felt it was the right school for DD as she is not academically confident, but I think will thrive in a friendly supportive school environment and she loves art, drama, music and sport.

That sentence could equally be applied to our DD too, Stargazey44. I get the sense that they are a nurturing school and do well by all their girls, including the ones who are not so academically strong/inclined.

Last summer, DD (along with lots of other Year 5 girls from different primary schools in Merton) was invited to do a 'taster day' at RL - she loved it. I believe that practice to be quite unique and speaks volumes about the school and its ethos. Also, that they do 'interviews' with the girls/parent(s), ahead of the Sept. start date. I imagine they do this to get a proper feel for the girls themselves rather than forming an opinion based on academic results and primary school reports alone. Suggestive of a school that thinks of the girls individually as well as part of a cohort (all good IMHO).

FWIW, although it wasn't DD's first or second choice (both of which were long-shots), we've decided (and so has she!) - since Offers Day - that in many ways it's on a level with Choice 1 in particular (but more local) and that it makes perfect sense for her to stick with the offer she's got.

I'm a great believer that generally (unless parents have been unrealistic in expectations) children do end up at the school that's right for them.

LocalEditorMerton Sun 05-Mar-17 09:30:33

Hi Stargazey44, you might be interested in this Ricards Lodge talk thread. Although it's a year old it should give you some useful insights. If you post on it you might just get an updated response from one or more of the original posters too wink.

HaydonWomble Wed 15-Mar-17 13:09:27

Our daughter will be going to Ricards this September. It wasn't her first choice on the CAF (or ours). However, we've decided it's actually the right outcome for her. She's now very much looking forward to going and can't wait to finish primary school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now