Any businesses, journalists or researchers looking to post on Local talk must pay a small fee for a pinned thread. On starting a new thread, please make sure you select the 'Pin this thread' option. If you have any questions, please contact your local editor directly or email local@mumsnet.com

Anyone know why loads of shops in the Village have vanished?!

(14 Posts)
Everhart Fri 17-Mar-17 10:04:56

Popped up to Wimbledon Village y'day for the first time in months and was amazed to see how many shops/businesses have closed and are standing vacant! The Aubaine site, the Igloo toyshop, the Lebanese restaurant (I think), and a good half-dozen more at least.

Anyone know what's happening and why nobody is filling the empty sites? It looks a bit depressing!

elemis Fri 17-Mar-17 10:51:45

Rents too high
Business traffic down, no parking
audioboom.com/posts/5668739-adrian-mills-of-the-wimbledon-village-business-association?utm_campaign=embed&utm_content=retweet&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook

elemis Fri 17-Mar-17 10:52:24

Interesting interview
There are so many empty

Everhart Fri 17-Mar-17 11:07:03

Thanks elemis. At work so can't listen but will later. There are loads empty, aren't there??! I was really shocked. It's a shame, I hope new businesses fill the spaces, it ought to be thriving.

Willemdefoeismine Sat 18-Mar-17 12:52:43

I think for most Merton residents, even SW19 ones, Wimbledon Village has become a bit of a parallel universe. It has a very specific 'BCBG' type of Euro and the super-monied vibe that is a bit off-putting even though in theory it's much more appealing than the sprawl of shops/restaurants down the hill.

It's a real pity though. One of the great bonuses of shopping up in W.V was all the independent shops - are those the ones that are closing down?

VictoryGirl Sat 18-Mar-17 15:18:58

And spotted that Burger Shack gone too!

user1484 Sat 18-Mar-17 16:38:39

Apparently the Fire Stables is opening again in April.

twistedblister Mon 20-Mar-17 11:49:01

If the business rates have made businesses unviable now in the Village then its a shame. It's a shame for businesses everywhere of course. Centre court and Wimbledon High St have had a turnover of businesses over the last few years and now it's finally hit the village even with their residents copious amounts of cash swilling around the hill. Give it a few years and all we will see are WH Smiths, the large supermarkets and of course those loveable tax dodging multinationals Costa, Starbucks and Café Nero. I expect some of the pubs to close too seeing as they are hit by the rates too and once we have left Europe there will be no polish bar staff anyway so no one to serve you. Still, we are all in it together as someone once said.

Willemdefoeismine Fri 24-Mar-17 12:45:48

Hear what the local MP has to say about the decline: bit.ly/2nYUteq

childof79 Fri 24-Mar-17 22:37:38

I want to campaign for Burger Shack to come back. The Firestables was like canteen food. The problem I see with the Village (particularly cafes) - is that they assume customers have more money than sense (not that many of us do) and charge a fortune. The places that are surviving are those that have been there for years and are good quality for what they are.

LocalEditorMerton Sat 25-Mar-17 07:45:02

Do you think Wimbledon Village 'suffers' for being more touristy than we give it credit for, particularly in summer months? So much of the high pricing is pitched at London tourist rates rather than what one would expect for a local neighbourhood?

The Burger Shack wasn't open for very long, was it? Less than a year?

VictoryGirl Sat 25-Mar-17 19:25:28

Burger Shack/Fire Stables owned by Youngs so I guess they are reverting to a more traditional pub format.

Davros Sun 26-Mar-17 23:20:12

We went to the Ivy Cafe in WV recently and thought it was meh.
It's the same in Hampstead village which must be the only place in London, or the uk or even the world where both Starbucks and McDonalds have shut down shock
The pubs are all being closed by developers who want to turn them into the ubiquitous luxury flats but there has been a bit of a fight back on that

FoxForce5 Mon 27-Mar-17 18:16:16

It is a real shame. I heard our MP Stephen Hammond on the radio talking about it. He had nothing useful to add whatsoever.
Igloo was totally overpriced - even for the Village - so not a surprise.
Its my closest set of shops but I pretty much never go in any of the boutiques - I can't afford anything! Although I did spot Jamie Redknapp last week on the steps of Matches so I appreciate not everyone has this problem blush
I think there should be a better mix or it will be estate agents & wall-to-wall charity shops.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now