#AutismDiagnosisCrisis in our part of London

(10 Posts)
HaydonWomble Mon 29-May-17 08:15:57

Anyone (suspect there are lots of us!) concerned by South West London & St George's Mental Health Trust's proposal to scrap ASD diagnosis should go along to this meeting, 8 June 2017 (9am-10.30am), open to the public.

If this goes ahead, children and families across Merton, Wandsworth, Kingston, Richmond and Sutton will be affected.

No diagnosis = no access to support strategies at home or at school and almost no chance of successfully claiming DLA.

SW London mummy blogger Rainbows are too beautiful sums up the issue (full article here):

"The National Autistic Society have spoken out on the BBC following the release of report papers from the South-West London and St George's mental health services. The papers describe a service under intense pressure and an intent to reduce the number of children and young people who are able to access a full diagnostic assessment from the trust.

Without our diagnosis we would have missed out on access to certain therapies, support from local and national organisations, funding and appropriate placement of our children in schools. Mostly though, without a diagnosis no-one would understand why our boys are the way they are and do what they do and this is the biggest key to their progress."

Make your say count!

LocalEditorMerton Mon 29-May-17 10:46:43

Interesting article suggesting the shape of things to come (fall-out on schools) if autism diagnosis is restricted: goo.gl/xjY3cK

TheCommoner Tue 30-May-17 06:54:28

There's this meeting too:

www.mvsc.co.uk/news/share-your-views-health-and-social-care

TheCommoner Tue 30-May-17 06:56:58

Several posters have raised it on the webchat with Jeremy Corbyn today:

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/mumsnet_live_events/2939320-Webchat-with-Jeremy-Corbyn-leader-of-the-Labour-Party-Tuesday-30-May-at-midday

LocalEditorMerton Tue 30-May-17 12:56:02

Thanks for the 'nods' @TheCommoner.

LocalEditorMerton Thu 01-Jun-17 15:31:47

Quote from NHS Merton CCG today on Twitter:

"No decisions made on changes to autism diagnosis services @SWLSTGDetailed engagement with people first ;http://bit.ly/2qiYcIh"

TheCommoner Thu 01-Jun-17 15:39:07

Yeah, right. (Sorry, LocalEd - am v. angry about this.)

Bloody outrageous to have even raised it as a possibility. But at least we know for sure what their general attitude towards autism is now (if we ever had any doubts). sad angry

Alfieisnoisy Thu 01-Jun-17 15:51:40

I am not local to you but extremely angry that this is even up for discussion at health board level.
Certainly if they make this decision then others may follow and it should be a concern to everyone nationwide.

My son was diagnosed with autism in 2008, he also has ADHD but does not display much evidence if that beyond inattention and vagueness. Under the potential plans Merton has he would not even be assessed and that is a concern because it was only when he was assessed for autism that his ADHD became apparent.

Medication for ADHD was a game changer for my DS, at 8 he was struggling to read and not even teaching NC Level 1 academically. Within six months of starting medication he was reading fluently and within two years was almost on a par academically with his peers. But that would never have been achieved had he not been assessed for autism and the co-morbid diagnoses looked at.

All parents should be very worried by this.

I hope Merton see the light and make a different decision.

LocalEditorMerton Sat 03-Jun-17 13:56:45

Good news (their words not mine!) reported on 2 June 2017 directly from @Autism Twitter feed FYI.

HaydonWomble Thu 08-Jun-17 08:48:36

STOP PRESS - OOPS - not sure if I initially got the date wrong or whether they've changed it. The relevant meeting is now showing, on the SWLondon &St. George's NHS Mental Health Trust website, as being next Thursday, 15 June.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now