Norfolk and Norwich Hospital

(14 Posts)
CanaryGirl2017 Sun 28-May-17 20:40:58

Hi, I was just wondering if people could share their experiences of the N&N? Will be having an ELCS so any info on those would be particularly helpful but I'm also curious about the aftercare, general experiences and what the recovery wards are like for CS, do you still stay on the ward? Are there any rooms that are more private (even if you have to pay). I'm a prepper so any and all detail would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

ButtMuncher Sun 28-May-17 20:54:01

Hi! I had a CS there last year.

The surgery itself I cannot fault - they did an amazing job of the section and i barely have a scar. My son was delivered with forceps as he was very high up so I can't comment on how traumatic it was for him as I was totally out of it grin

They do have private rooms - I was placed in one after being in for over a week (failed induction, overfilled wards and my son lost weight) so you'd probably have to pay if you wanted one from the onset. Honestly I would pay- the words were crammed, hot, busy and noisy. With a section you need observations afterwards particularly to rule out infection and I found the endless disruptions to both me and other mums really really detrimental to my rest and recovery when I was on the ward. If I ever did have another I would absolutely pay for a room. If you do have a private room make sure you familiarise yourself with the meal times as I was forgotten about a few times.

I didn't find the aftercare good at all. I found information about breastfeeding to be hugely contradictory and suspect that ended up being most of the reason my son lost weight and I ended up panicking about his intake - I ended up using formula far far earlier than I wanted to (or should have done) based on really poor advice, and then felt bad for doing so because breast is best is very much the emphasis. I found some midwives to be lovely and others to be rude. I often had to ask for care, either to keep on top of meds or to make sure observations were done (I had an infection that wasn't relative to section). I often wasn't asked if it was a good time, and the poor staff were rushed off their feet so much. Be confident in your decisions and don't be afraid to exert your opinion. If you feel something doesn't seem right, question it - I wish I had, particularly about feeding, I felt my son wasn't getting enough from me but was told time and time again he was feeding fine until the third day when he'd lost 10% and we then had to stay in for another four days whilst I tried desperately for him to gain so we could go home.

I didn't have the greatest experience but I had preexisting anxiety issues which added to it.

CanaryGirl2017 Sun 28-May-17 21:33:05

Oh no! That must have been really frustrating for you! I think I'll look into a breastfeeding group/consultant beforehand and go in armed with some knowledge! I don't mind paying for some privacy, I'm a lousy patient so it'll be to everyone's benefit 😂

Joydgreen88 Mon 29-May-17 07:54:22

I gave birth there in January, didn't have a ELCS but did have to stay on the ward after for monitoring.

Not going to lie, the wards were awful. Hot, noisy, not enough staff. My blood pressure dropped dangerously low and it took them 3 hours to come back and check me, at which point I was pretty much unconscious. If you can get a private room I highly suggest it, I'd been in labour for 40 hours without sleep and didn't get any at all on the ward as it was just so busy. It was awful. The aftercare is not great. If you're planning on breastfeeding get support elsewhere beforehand as you won't get much from them. Dd was a sleepy feeder in the beginning and the advice I was given was to nip her to get her to wake up to feed shock which unsurprisingly I did not listen to! I have contact details for an AMAZING breastfeeding support, you do have to pay, but they do home visits and they sorted our latch out within minutes and I'm still EBF 4.5 months later with no problems at all.

breastfeedingnorfolk.co.uk/contact/

I don't think they allow you to pay for a private room however (I might be completely wrong) so definitely check with your midwife beforehand. There were 3 women on my ward who'd had c-sections and could barely walk and were still made to get up out of bed to collect their meals. Partners can stay on the ward, which does help a bit. I'm sorry, don't want to panic you at all but I wish someone had been honest with me before I'd gone in so I could have mentally prepared myself! Next time I'm going to have a home birth so I don't have to stay in 😂 Any more info you need just shout!

CanaryGirl2017 Mon 29-May-17 08:50:54

Oh wow, this isn't looking good! I wish I had the option of a home birth but I have to have CS for medical reasons 😭 I will check out the breastfeeding consultant that you have mentioned as I really want to do it but am not sure how I'll cope initially if the conditions are already so bad!

Can partners stay overnight or do they have to leave?

Thanks for all your advice (and warnings!).

Joydgreen88 Mon 29-May-17 10:01:42

Yes partners can stay overnight, so you will have some support. You might be ok and have a quiet stay, I really don't want to stress you out before you go in! Just prepare you a bit. At the end of the day you will have your lovely baby, and a couple of weeks after it will be a distant memory. I was annoyed at the time more than anything. Just make sure your partner will speak up for you, especially if you're in pain, don't let them fob you off! It's their job to make sure you're looked after, even if they are busy. You will be absolutely fine smile

TinaMac Mon 29-May-17 13:01:32

I had an ELCS at the N&N in 2015 and I found the whole experience completely fine! The wards are quite noisy and warm but all wards are I would imagine. I had my first baby in a big teaching hospital in London and the experience at the N&N was so much calmer and nicer. This is not to belittle other people's bad experiences but just to reassure you that mine was fine and I have lots of friends who had babies at the N&N and I've never heard bad stories.

rhymeswithporridge Mon 29-May-17 14:00:20

I've had 3 kids at the N&N. the 1st required an episiotomy and when they decided that he wasn't coming out fast enough and was getting distressed, there were suddenly 8 people there! i felt well looked after and that they were paying close attention.

the other 2 were water births and very straight forward. we didn't stay with any of them (5 hours is the minimum i think, and we left after that). I found that a got enough BF support from the midwives and health visitor. Louisa Lyons (I think) is the BF consultant at the N&N and she's very good and definitely doesn't shame you for using formula.

also, i should add that my 3rd baby had a little heart murmur which was picked up my the midwife during the checks. she stood and listened to his heart for about 10 minutes. the valve which closes in the 24 hours or so after birth was still open so we had to see the consultant. we saw her within an hour and the hole had closed by then. i thought the care was excellent.

all the care i've received has been excellent though the number of hours I've spent there is pretty small.

Find out how soon you can leave after a CS and think about leaving as soon as possible. you can get plenty of BF support at home and on the phone so I wouldn't stay for that, if i were you. we have an underfunded NHS with too few staff and not enough resources...

i'v been in the N&N quite a lot now: broken leg, head injury, tongue tie ops, post-childbirth physio - and it's always been very good.

good luck

CanaryGirl2017 Mon 29-May-17 15:49:53

It's good to hear that some people have had positive experiences too. I will still prepare for the worst though, as I tend to deal with that sort of thing better if I expect it.

I'm sure my husband will advocate for me after a thorough briefing from me and I'm glad he can stay but am in two minds about it as it might be better for him to get some rest to prepare for when we get home.

I'm well aware of the stress the NHS is under, which has probably contributed to the poor experiences that some of the other ladies above have had. It does not however mean that I should leave hospital before it is safe to do so just so that I can say "I did my bit" and being as my CS itself will be paid for privately through my health insurance I dare say my care will be less of a "burden" than others.

Thanks again for the advice everyone, I feel much more prepared.

MasterSplinter Mon 29-May-17 18:05:12

I've had two dc via emcs at the N&N. First was 10 years ago and care was not great due to understaffing. Second time round they'd just moved to a new ward and had updated bf training. Care was exemplary with lots of bf support. Partners couldn't stay though.

Beaches3 Wed 31-May-17 10:27:05

I had my DD there last year and ended up in emergency surgery afterwards due to PPH. The care during labour, delivery and immediate aftermath was exemplary. Anaesthetist amazing, staff all super kind.
Once I got to the ward definitely more difficult as staff were so so so busy but I think so long as you have someone with you it's manageable. I think there's a good chance you will get a private room if your CS is being done privately but I would say do keep DH with you just in terms of being able to pass things and pass you the baby for feeding etc. That being said you hopefully won't be super exhausted as the CS is planned so you should hopefully have slept (as well as a 40 week pregnant lady can sleep!) the night before. So maybe play that bit of him staying by ear.
I found breastfeeding support was good and I went home being able to feed and only encountered problems later on but I've met a few women who've delivered there who had tongue ties missed in the baby despite frequent checks so worth bearing in mind.
I think it sounds like you are fore warned and fore armed and you'll feel better having the contact details of the breastfeeding support and knowing you can have your DH there if you need it, but can equally send him home to rest afterwards.
They do get you up on your feet very quickly after a CS to help mobility and reduce clotting risk so definitely keep on top of painkillers and I would bring in over the counter drugs (paracetamol and ibuprofen) just in case you are overlooked. Hopefully it won't happen but at least you'd be prepared!

sherry4283 Wed 31-May-17 17:51:40

If anyone would like to provide feedback about the service received at the NNUH, I'm the co-ordinator for the Maternity Services Liaison Committee and we currently have a survey on our site for those who have given birth in the last two years.

nnuhmaternityvoices.weebly.com/current-projects--better-births.html

You can also email or contact us on Facebook

CanaryGirl2017 Wed 31-May-17 22:35:49

Thanks again for all of the advice, sherry4283 will the results of the survey be published and if so when and where please?

rhymeswithporridge Fri 02-Jun-17 20:59:30

i go into my own world when in about so i really rely on my husband to look out for me and the baby. don't worry him being well-rested: he'll be sleeping better than you after the baby's born as he won't be on a hospital ward!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now