Harrogate/ Knaresborough

(10 Posts)
Nicsywicsy Tue 14-Mar-17 12:59:15

Moving up north and looking for somewhere nice to live! We like Harrogate but not too familiar with it - where are the nicest areas? Also considering Knaresborough - is it as lovely as it sounds/looks? Or any other gems that we should consider? Thanks! grin)

FetchezLaVache Wed 15-Mar-17 09:31:05

Hi Nicsy, I'm in Harrogate and it's great. Best areas depend on what you want/need in terms of schools (do you have DCs and what age are they?), proximity to town centre, local shopping parade, railway station, the A1, access to Leeds, etc. I live in what's not considered a prime location and it's still pretty nice and close to all of the above (and a 15 minute walk to Waitrose along the Stray!)

Knaresborough is absolutely beautiful in a chocolate box kind of way, but obviously much smaller. No supermarket (other than Lidl) and shops not brilliant, but I don't know how much that would bother you!

Ripon and Boroughbridge also worth considering, if you like pretty market towns with a certain degree of gentrification and good transport links. smile

Louiseandherboys83 Sat 25-Mar-17 09:01:07

Hi I'm looking to relocate to Harrogate or Knaresborough later this year with my hubby and 3 children so will be following this with interest! We can't decide between the two...where are you moving from?

Carrotgirl999 Sun 26-Mar-17 22:15:12

Hello all smile I live in knaresborough, work in Harrogate, one DS aged 11 at local high school, love it here smile more than happy to help with any questions! X

Louiseandherboys83 Sun 26-Mar-17 22:44:44

Hi carrotgirl999 thanks for your message. We have visited Knaresborough a number of times and really like it...can you tell me if there are any areas to avoid? Is there much going on for mums with toddlers? Any insider info on the primary schools?

Nicsywicsy Mon 27-Mar-17 07:21:10

Hi All and thx for your replies! We were in Knaresborough this weekend and loved it, we like the Scriven area but yes would be good to know of any other gems in-around the area? I have a 12 year old boy who is going to go to school a bit further north so that is already sorted. Thanks!

wowbutter Mon 27-Mar-17 07:31:22

Thirsk is really cheap for property, and quite nice to live in, market, shops, parks, supermarkets etc.
Boroughbridge is nice, really pretty, but property costs more, it's closer to York and easier to commute.
Knaresborough is a pain to dive round, expensive property, and I like it less than the two above.
Harrogate is the most expensive property wise, but loads f amenities, and shops, transport links etc. Loads on as well.
Ripon is nice, middle priced for houses, some cheap, some expensive, good links to Harrogate on the bus. Okay shops, market, stuff to do.
There are loads of tiny villages that are stunning!!

Louiseandherboys83 Mon 27-Mar-17 22:29:20

Thanks for all the info, really helpful. Can you expand on the driving around Knaresborough situation? Why is it bad?

HarrogateMum Tue 28-Mar-17 17:22:54

Harrogate and Knaresborough both lovely. I have twin boys in their first year of high school at St aidans and a daughter in year five at pannal primary and have lived in Harrogate pretty much all my life so any questions fire away!!

Louiseandherboys83 Wed 29-Mar-17 10:13:30

Can you tell me which areas are the nicest in Knaresborough (or where to avoid)? I have a 6 year old, a 3 year old and a 1.5 yr old so need to find a school and a preschool for the oldest two and a nursery for youngest. Also what is it like as a community? Is it easy to get to know people? I'm a bit nervous about moving and not know anyone esp when I've lived in places that are pretty closed off to anyone who is not local eek!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now