Any businesses, journalists or researchers looking to post on Local talk must pay a small fee for a pinned thread. On starting a new thread, please make sure you select the 'Pin this thread' option. If you have any questions, please contact your local editor directly or email local@mumsnet.com

Villages near keyworth/edwalton

(12 Posts)
beanhunter Sat 18-Mar-17 18:36:26

Hi
We are relocating to Nottingham and have vaguely narrowed down where we want to live to the villages around keyworth. We will be working at city and qmc hospital and also have a dd who will need a year one school place for sept 2017.

I don't think we would want to be in west bridgford itself (though lured by the schools!) and would prefer easier access to the countryside.
We've seen some good houses in tollerton but know nothing about it at all.

So advice on areas, logistics of getting school places (which terrifies me as everything seems oversubscribed and worried we won't get a local school we are happy with) and generally how it all works please!

icklekid Sun 19-Mar-17 05:51:21

What about Plumtree or Bunny? Know people happy at both and good small village schools with places

HollyBollyBooBoo Sun 19-Mar-17 06:02:18

Keyworth itself is really nice, good amenities and schools. Slightly more rural is Widmerpool and Willoughby on the Wolds. No shop/pub, but great school in Willoughby and good community spirit.

Applying for schools - you need to find a home first and then go through the system of applying, you're officially late for applying for a place for this September but they will still find you a school - just might not have been your first choice.

beanhunter Sun 19-Mar-17 07:30:40

Ok so is tollerton not good then? We've not found any houses we like in keyworth, bunny or plum tree.
Yes she's already at school so it'll be for a year one place. Do we have to have completed on a purchase and actually have moved before we can even apply or can we apply after we exchange contracts?

Neshobe Sun 19-Mar-17 08:18:35

I think Tollerton is fine. No problems with it. Tollerton primary school was rated Outstanding in 2010. Here's the link to Nottinghamshire County Council for school admissions info. You normally have to be registered at an address before you can apply.

www.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/education/school-admissions

Even if you didn't get your daughter into the Tollerton primary school, all the schools in nearby villages (Cotgrave, Edwalton, Keyworth, etc) are all rated Outstanding or Good (same as ones in West Bridgford) so don't think you'll have anything to worry about.

The ring road (A52) and onwards round to the QMC/City Hospital can get pretty busy depending on what time you travel to work. That would be my main concern. Also they are building lots of new houses at Nottcutts roundabout which will only add to traffic on the road close to Tollerton.

HollyBollyBooBoo Sun 19-Mar-17 18:55:29

Tollerton is fine, I think like most villages its a tale of two halves, lots of nice parts and a few not so great.

There are some new homes being built just up from Tollerton near the large roundabout, might be worth a look?

You can't apply for a school until the house is yours, they usually move very fast though. I was really impressed when I moved and changed schools.

HollyBollyBooBoo Sun 19-Mar-17 18:56:09

There's an excellent Chinese restaurant in Tollerton if that swings it??!

beanhunter Sun 19-Mar-17 20:14:12

Love a good Chinese so it's certainly a factor....
So house is in tollerton lane. Overlooking fields. Not seen anything else we like but anxious as don't want to make the wrong call.

HollyBollyBooBoo Sun 19-Mar-17 20:48:31

Tollerton Lane is lovely, some beautiful homes there. My only consideration would be that Tollerton Lane makes up one side of a triangle of roads - the other 2 being the A52 and A606 -both really busy roads and they're only going to get busier with all the new homes being built in Edwalton (c.2000 I think).

It might not bother you at all but have you been to the home at different times of day and stood outside to gauge the noise level?

beanhunter Sun 19-Mar-17 21:07:00

So the problem is that because we are moving from Birmingham that's not really an option. It's on the 20 mile/hr bit near the school and set a long way back though.

icklekid Mon 20-Mar-17 08:25:27

Sounds lovely. I wouldn't have concerns about Tollerton!

cashmerecardigans Mon 20-Mar-17 11:10:11

Ruddington is lovely, real village feel, good pubs and local shops.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now