Chalgrove

(7 Posts)
foolserrand Tue 09-May-17 07:14:42

My family and I are considering a move from Hertfordshire to Chalgrove. We have found a house we love and are quietly optimistic. But, I'm suddenly very aware we are moving far away from everything we know. Reading here, there seems to be divide. Is East of Oxford 'bad'?

Would anyone be so kind as to tell me what they think of Chalgrove? We're heading down to check it out on Saturday, but an insider's perspective would really help put me at ease.

On a very specific level, we will also need a kids' football club, gymnastics, swimming and ballet if anyone is able to help there!

Thank you so much and apologies if this reads a bit jilty, I've been up a long time with my arsehole puppy!

foolserrand Tue 09-May-17 19:29:09

Bumping, ever the optimist

foolserrand Fri 12-May-17 23:19:07

Last chance bump

Oxfordshire2017 Sat 13-May-17 11:22:15

Hello

I live in Chalgrove and it is a good place to live!

Great things:
-Good sense of community
-Quiet and peaceful
-Lots of ducks with ducklings at this time of year!
-Lovely park in the centre
-Slightly lower house prices than surrounding villages
-Good access to M40
-Good primary school
-Childrens centre that is now being run by a community initiative after funding was cut
-Excellent GP surgery and pharmacy in the village
-The red lion pub with good food and beer garden with toys
-New Indian takeaway from the lamb pub
-Post office with a little shop for cards, stationary and girfts
-Florist
-I think there is a football club here. There is ballet in Watlington which is a few miles away.

Less good things:
-The council are considering the airfield site for 3000 new houses which will totally change the feel of the village, cause major traffic problems. There is a big consultation about this at the moment. It may bring new facilities though!
-No coffee shop
-No library and no library bus (nearest are Benson or Watlington so not far)
-Small selection of shops but difficult to buy good quality fresh food. There are small co-ops or budgens in nearby villages or supermarkets in wheatley, oxford or wallingford.
-Nearest swimming is Berinsfield, Thame or Wallingford, outdoor in the summer (all 20mins+ away)
-Gymnastics is maybe at Sonning Common or Berinsfield. I'm not sure about that but none in the village that I can think of.
-Nearest train stations are Cholsey or Thame (about 20-25 mins)
-Infrequent and slow bus service to Oxford

Hope that helps and that you have a good day!

Oxfordshire2017 Sat 13-May-17 11:23:51

p.s. you might also like to consider flooding risk for your new house. There is a brook that runs through the village and there was quite significant flooding of the high street a few years ago.

foolserrand Sat 13-May-17 22:26:23

Thank you so much! We actually spent the day there today. It's incredible! The children were so happy and the Red Lion is really lovely.

I had discovered the flooding, and the landlord was telling us about the proposed development.

Now just need to hope they take our offer!

MrsBadger Mon 22-May-17 12:32:42

(Yes excellent gymnastics in Berinsfield; people travel a long way for it!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now