Moving to Perthshire

(12 Posts)
Scottishatheart Wed 15-Mar-17 08:37:17

My OH is from Aberdeenshire and we are looking to move from Warrington to somewhere nearer his roots and work. Perthshire seems ideal, beautiful, with a good sense of community. I am also rather fed up of being English currently . . We have 2 girls aged 4 and 2 and I would like to know a little about the primary schools system and about the welcome we may receive. My eldest only turned 4 in August and went to primary school in September. She is far too young and hates it, with a double intake of 30 in each class. I currently work for a children's disability charity and home work (I write parent friendly publications explaining childhood conditions and treatments), but would like to look into a 'science communication' job with a university, so would like to be commutable to Perth, Dundee or even, at a stretch, Saint Andrew's. Any tips on where to relocate to would be much appreciated.

Microbe123 Wed 15-Mar-17 20:54:12

Hi there I live in Perthshire and it's a lovely place to live. Somewhere close to Dundee would be your best bet for easy travelling to Perth or St. Andrews (both 30 mins from Dundee). Dundee has a very large science sector - Dundee and Abertay Universities, Technology Park, James Hutton Institute, Scottish Water and Sensations, so lots of places to job hunt.

I don't know much about the English primary school system, but I believe Scottish class sizes are perceived to be smaller ( depends on area) and the education better than in England. Not trying to be controversial- but the Scottish education is largely the same in every school, it doesn't differ between counties. You will find smaller class sizes outside of the cities, close to Dundee you could look at Inchture, Longforgan, Abernyte, St Maddoes, Blairgowrie, Coupar Angus, Burrelton, Balbeggie, Scone, Invergowrie, Auchterhouse, Meigle, Alyth.

I would imagine you would receive a largely warm welcome wherever you go, especially from other parents. Someone is bound to take you under their wing. Hospitality and drinking alcohol is supposed to be what we scots do best! 😂😂😂

christmasmum Wed 15-Mar-17 21:42:35

I live in Perthshire too and would echo Microbe123's comments from above about finding somewhere near Dundee for the universities of Dundee and St Andrews (unless you have a big budget St Andrews is a bit pricey!). Also, you might want to consider the Stirling area which is very central and only 30 minutes from Perth - you could also commute to Edinburgh or Glasgow as well as Stirling uni. Bit of a long way off but the high school in Dunblane has an excellent academic reputation.

You'll be warmly welcomed everywhere!

AltogetherAndrews Thu 16-Mar-17 20:01:23

Some of the smaller towns can be a bit rough, and not so keen on newcomers- I would avoid Blairgowrie and Aylth. Dunblane would be ideal, very good schools, and a large population of English families, so no issues about settling in. It's more expensive than some of the other towns, but really a lovely place to live, commutable to Stirling, Perth, Glasgow and Edinburgh Perth doesn't have a university, just a college which is part of the university of the Highlands and Islands.

christmasmum Fri 17-Mar-17 17:34:01

Altogether has a good point, wasn't really thinking about the Angus towns which can be a bit less welcoming perhaps!

Littlefish1980 Sat 18-Mar-17 08:27:35

In would like to dispute Altogether's comments about Alyth and Blairgowrie and argue that they are both brilliant places to settle - both close to big towns like Perth and Dundee but on the edge of the Cairngorms and wonderful scenery. There's a great mix of people and we have a history of welcoming newcomers particularly to come and pick the berries in the summer. It used to be Glaswegians, now largely Eastern Europeans grin. In the area we have a thriving arts scene, book festival, community cinema, cycling and outdoor activity shop and hub, walking festival, gin makers and much, much more. Aye, everywhere has their problems but you would be made welcome here.

BlairNed Sat 18-Mar-17 11:41:47

Blairgowrie is a great place to stay, for all the reasons Littlefish gives. The primary schools are great, the High School not so much but it is not horrendous, and you have the choice of high schools in Perth and Dundee.

Littlefish1980 Sat 18-Mar-17 16:44:28

Cheers BlairNed!

Scottishatheart Mon 20-Mar-17 08:59:59

Thanks everyone, my little girl is having major surgery in 3 weeks so hopefully, once she is recovered, we'll be able to come up and visit again and look at some of the areas mentioned here.

christmasmum Sun 26-Mar-17 22:03:12

I hope everything goes well - what a stressful time for you all.

Scottishatheart Mon 27-Mar-17 08:39:24

Thanks, she needs a major pelvic reconstruction as her hip joint has died. Hopefully after the 8 weeks in a full body plaster cast, she'll be able to walk before her 5th birthday. . .

christmasmum Mon 27-Mar-17 12:48:32

I'm so sorry to hear she (and you all) are going through such a tough time. I do hope the op is a massive success. What a birthday treat that would be to be up on her feet!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now