Broomfield House School

(7 Posts)
QMumzilla Tue 14-Mar-17 21:47:33

Hi. We are considering Broomfield House School for our son. However, I have recently heard chinese whispers about parents taking out their children from school, the school asking a child to be removed due to lack of performance and widespread private tutoring to name a few.
None of these stories were first hand. I would love to hear from parents who have children at Broomfield House or removed children from this school and why. I am particularly interested to hear from parents of boys and how the school supports their very different educational needs. Many thanks.

Gingerbreadbaker Sun 26-Mar-17 16:06:17

I'm an ex Broomfield parents whose children both got into their first choice academic senior schools and I can tell you that pretty much all West London private school parents get their kids tutored whichever prep school they go to. I didn't think mine needed it and looking back I'm not sure the tutoring made any difference but I did it as a safety blanket. it is an academic school, no getting away from it, but it is friendly and my kids left as confident, well balanced kids and maybe less entitled than some of their peers at senior school. Regarding your Chinese whispers when we were there some children joined Broomfield from other Kew Schools and some left to go to other Kew schools. When you pay, you get to exercise your choice. I hope this helps.

QMumzilla Sun 26-Mar-17 22:11:57

Thanks Gingerbreadbaker. It seems like I have a lot to learn. I didn't know most prep school children are tutored. Very useful information. Thank you very much for your feedback.

FrustratedofTW1 Mon 27-Mar-17 19:00:23

QMumziller

Don't listen to the chinese whispers / tutoring hysteria

Parents get panicked by all the whispers and subject their children to unnecessary tutoring that in the worst case can, together with the parental expectations, sap confidence. You get to the end of the selection process and pupils get into the schools that are right for them regardless of whether they were tutored. No tutor will tell you this but the senior schools are looking for ability and potential not cramming.

They should put valium in the tea from Year 5 onwards......

QMumzilla Mon 27-Mar-17 21:55:01

Very wise words, thanks FrustratedofTW1.

JBMall Thu 13-Apr-17 19:15:31

My son is down to start at Broomfield in September, so I'm happy to hear the positive feedback Gingerbreadbeaker. One question for you if you dont mind - we live in Chiswick and I've been worried recently that we will be the only family who arent local and in Kew - in your experience were there children at the school from further afield than Kew? We had him down for a couple of the prep's more locally in Chiswick but I just didnt like them as much as I did Broomfield, but now am worrying I have made the wrong decision! Thanks so much!

Gingerbreadbaker Mon 17-Apr-17 08:07:38

Hi JB, living in Chiswick is not a problem at all....there are families from Chiswick, Brentford, St Margarets, Sheen and Barnes and further afield. When we started at the school we didn't live in Kew, but we chose it because, like you, we though Broomfield was a better fit for us and our children. It's such a lovely school and we were sad when our lot moved onto senior schools. FYI senior school is much less sociable!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now