Independent Secondary Schools

(6 Posts)
Shobi16 Sun 07-May-17 18:46:39

Hello,
I am looking for recommendations for independent secondary school for my son to do his Sixth Form. We are British citizens but have been away from the UK for 10 years now. Currently we live in Dubai. We are looking to live in or around Richmond and ideally looking at schools in the borough of Richmond, Hammersmith etc. Will really appreciate your inputs! Just browsing on the internet seems very mind boggling sad

twick13 Mon 08-May-17 09:42:28

Hi
How clever is he.
Most of the schools take into sixth form. But schools such as Kingston Grammar are looking for high GCSE results and I believe you also have to do an entrance exam
Schools such as Radnor House and Kew House have a lower entry and last year weren't over subscribed
Does he want mixed or single sex.

Shobi16 Mon 08-May-17 10:15:50

Hello twick13,

Thank you for your reply. My son is quite clever (if I may say so myself). He will be taking his Maths Gcse this year (a year early than his cohort). I am not fussed and am open to co-ed and boys school. I did look into Radnor House. I shall check Kew House as well. Thanks again!

Gingerbreadbaker Thu 11-May-17 14:45:53

The senior school children in Kew go to a wide variety of different schools as Kew is well situated in terms of the underground, overground train, bus and school coach network. It might be worth you looking at the Parent Power league table for independent secondary schools (produced by The Times) or just google independent schools league tables. If your son is academic, and you are keen on single sex schooling then you might like St Paul's Boys school in Hammersmith or Hampton school for boys. Although Hampton is half an hour's drive from Kew, there is a school coach from Kew and lots of the local boys attend the school. If you are keen on co-ed there is Latymer Upper in Hammersmith, which is a ten minute tube journey from Kew. There is Ibstock Place School (another co-ed) in Roehampton, which is about half an hour from North Sheen train station or a 15 minute drive through Richmond Park. There is also Kingston Grammar school which is on a main bus route. All these schools are in the top 100 independent schools in the UK so not particularly easy to get into. St Pauls is the hardest, followed by Latymer, Hampton, then Kingston and Ibstock. Once you have identified the schools you are interested in, then look of the website for their entry requirements for sixth form, and then contact the admissions office in each school. Good luck.

Shobi16 Thu 11-May-17 16:14:19

That's really helpful. Thank you Gingerbreadbaker. I have started looking into all the schools mentioned in this forum.

Emilie1 Sun 14-May-17 22:05:10

Hello,

Could anyone recommend an English and Maths tutor for Hampton School?

Please feel free to PM me.

Thank you very much

Emilie

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now