Ibstock Place School but where to live? v Kew Gardens with small independent preps

(11 Posts)
Lottothink Wed 10-May-17 20:13:28

Hi all

I have been reading some discussions here about similar topics and found them very useful. However, they are either old discussions or did not answer some of my questions.

Can anyone tell me actually where can we live to send our little one from kindergarten to Ibstock Place? shuttle buses from Barnes starts at secondary and the traffic is very bad to drive apparently. Anyone leaving in Barnes? then Richmond or East Sheen would be good if we use the park but again the park closes to drive early in the evening and we might not want to walk at dark. Putney seem to be less traffic but still drive away and we like Barnes more than Putney.

Kew Gardens (which we like more than Richmond) seem to be a nice community and we would drop our child off easily as we are both working parents and at primary level we think it would be good for our child too. Also it would give us more options come 11+ since Ibstock does not prepare for 11+ exams. So Kew seems to be a winner but we haven't finished visiting the schools in Kew Gardens - what if we don't like any? If we like one and move to Kew Gardens (we are buying) we would do this also to make home for us and meet friends to become part of a community. On the other hand, come secondary stage all the schools I would prefer (at this time ) for secondary are e.g Latymer, st pauls, and even ibstock will be left on the other side near barnes and putney - so would it be better to live in Barnes as part of a longer term plan? I hear that it is not as friendly as Kew Gardens though and not as strong network and community for families with small children. is this true?

Lot of questions there - any insight would be very helpful. It is important to get the school right but for us also the area right (for logistics and also to have playdates etc. where do most prep Ibstock pupils live for example?

Many thanks in advance - first time on mumsnet as a poster so hope I put this in the right area to get some response.

propitia Wed 10-May-17 23:16:13

Apart from Ibstock, I believe most independent schools have coach services. Not St Paul but it is well served by public transport. Things change all the time, not least heads moving about. Barnes & Kew are both lovely environments to bring up children, with the river & Richmond Park in common, plus the Barnes wetland Centre vs Kew Gardens. You need to spend a little time in each area & continue looking at the schools. There is more choice of state primary in Kew than Barnes, simply because catchment areas are v small in Barnes so you can't easily sit in the catchment of more than one. State secondary options are problematic from both areas but as you are looking at independents, I'd look closely at the Kew preps.

Lottothink Thu 11-May-17 08:06:55

thank you - both areas a lovely indeed . I cannot put Barnes to the mix when I think about the commute to school though. they have Harrodian but dont think its us. St Pauls if you are luck starts at 7+ so for primary stage it seems cut off. i hope someone would give some assurances that it works for ibstock at the least or that there are many children going there so play dates wouldn't be a problem and for Kew that all those schools are well linked so that it is not as bad as it looks ob the map smile lot to ask!

twick13 Thu 11-May-17 18:24:21

Kew has good prep schools, Kew college, unicorn and Brookfield, falcon boys is just down the road and there is Kew Green. State primaries are good too Queens and Kew Riverside. So lots of options without having to drive.
For senior school it would be easy to get to Latymer upper, st Paul's, Goldolphin, St Benedicts, Radnor,and Kingston Grammar.lots of others will be going the same way by public transport. And off course there is Kew House. I believe Hampton / LEH have a coach from Kew.
Ibstock also possible with there Barnes pick up.

Lottothink Fri 12-May-17 14:31:21

thank you - it seems if we go for kew gardens, come secondary wouldn't be an issue. it would be good to hear views of those who live in Barnes and send their children from prep stage to Ibstock. are there any?

Temperance15 Fri 12-May-17 22:22:46

We have good friends who send their kids to Ibstock. They are happy with the school, the facilities are amazing and the kids are reasonably challenged. Historically it has not been the most academic school but it is getting more so now. It works for them because they have a boy and a girl too and they are both working parents. Be mindful though that being in prep school does not guarantee you a place in secondary school. In fact they let you know by the summer before the 11+ exams if your DC will be offered a place or you will have to find another school. So I would suggest you focus on finding a good primary and worry about senior school later, there are very few schools (Harrodian being one) that will not require an exam or minimum performance to enter the senior school.

When we were looking to buy our place, we looked in Sheen, Kew, and Barnes. We ended up in Kew and in hindsight I am so glad we did. (this was a few years ago and before my DC was born). I have friends in Barnes and unless you live right next to Barnes Primary, there are good but not outstanding schools (state or private) to go for (except of course St Paul's but it is boys only and you still need to find a prep to do the 7+ exams). In Kew, you have many great options both private or state, as you do also in Mortlake/Sheen and Richmond. Quite interesting because Barnes can be so expensive to buy!

Lottothink Sat 13-May-17 11:55:31

thank you . for raising a child and from schools perspective Kew is becoming more attractive . You are right, we can think about secondary later. I just dont want to move to an area where we know we have to move for secondary.

Two additional questions for Kew please :

1- for adult life - as when you have children you kinda need everything on your door step (yoga or gym - always on new year resolution and blaming where we live now for not doing it) . does it bother you that except a few shops and cafes/restaurant not much going on at your doorstep. or is this not the case?

2- for city commute: is that district line a pain or blessing to have ?

Unfortunately not many houses on sale in Kew in that triangle or near ..

QuintessentiallySW Sat 13-May-17 12:02:43

Save your money and send your children to one of the great schools in East Sheen/Barnes. Live on sheen parkside or in barnes, have everything on your doorstep, chose sheen mount, east sheen primary, barnes or st mary magdalen (if you are catholic). Add interesting activities, stimulate your child, and add a tutor and/or kumon from year 4/5 and seek entry into Ibstock for secondary. Fab neighbourhood with great primaries.

Lottothink Sun 14-May-17 19:29:48

its tricky.. if we go to those schools we have to be by the school. more expensive houses .. small houses and not many on sale . as we have a house to sell then buy it, it would be so annoying after paying a premium to the house not to get in to those state schools. I think we would rather to be in Barnes due to proximity to the stations compare to east sheen. I read that a lot of people who were disspointed when they couldn't get in 300/400 m. It is a shame that Barnes primary don't seem to do tours until it is near to admissions but I am planning to visit sheen mouth for what is it worth - I also read a lot that it is bit of a close community.

CountessDracula Mon 22-May-17 18:15:10

I think you'll find that Sheen has got better for primary school access - Sheen Mount and East Sheen have both gone 3 form entry plus there is now Thomson House in the middle of the two, so as far as I am aware there is not so much pressure on places.
I may be wrong, but that's what I've heard.
Sheen has way more in the way of useful shops etc than Kew or Barnes, you would find yourself having to get in your car a lot in either of those I would think. Otherwise not a lot to choose between them really, depends on the vibe you like. Kew is cute and pretty, Barnes is a again looks nice and has pond etc, shops great if you want to pay £5 for a sausage roll smile Sheen a bit rougher round the edges but much more practical wrt everything on your doorstep (other than, weirdly, for mobile phone shops, there are none!)

Lottothink Mon 22-May-17 19:55:49

thank you for writing . I think we need to see east sheen as I think it of mortlake but it seems not. I want to be near to the river . in a sense Putney has it all - shops, river etc. but it seems like a transit area and people move a lot after primary school. we are looking for somewhere that we can make friends for life etc. people live in Kew talks about that and the great community .

we are looking at independent schools too . kew has very good independent schools but east sheen and barnes has very good state schools..neither seem to have both ..

Putney has some state schools but not on the barnes side as we dont prefer CoE .

if we were not moving .it would have been an easier choice to go for the best option near you . I think we are trying to tick all the boxes which is probably not realistic.

I like it very much when people share their views here - it helps a lot . thank you again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now