Moving from Dubai to Esher

(9 Posts)
Maryonthemove Wed 28-Dec-16 12:49:28

We're moving to Esher at the end of March...will be looking to rent a house before then but wondered if there are any ladies out there who have also moved from abroad. I have a 5yr old girl who I need to find a place for in the Summer Term (possibly Cranmere PC?), and am also due my second baby in June. Would love any advice from people who have moved to the area from abroad and had to go through the Surrey CC school process.

christel123 Thu 19-Jan-17 10:54:36

Hi Maryonthemove, I also have a 5 year old daughter and we are relocating from Dubai to Surrey in March. Would you like to meet up for a coffee?

missmowgli Tue 24-Jan-17 07:40:17

Hello Ladies. I too am moving from Dubai back to Walton/Shepperton at the end of March! Am finding the school situation very stressful as there does not appear to be a lot of choice when it comes to avaialable primary schools. I too have a 5 year old daughter and also a 9 year old son.

natalie1971 Tue 07-Feb-17 05:22:44

Hi ladies, we relocated back to Surrey (Cobham) in August after 8 years in Dubai. Both of our children (11) and ((9) are at school in Oxshott. Happy to share experience/be of any help that I can.

LocalWannabe Sat 11-Feb-17 22:16:11

Hi there
We relocated to Chobham from Dubai after 9 years in June last year and our children (Year 1 and Year 3) started at a local primary (state) school in September.
Happy to give any advice if you'd like?

LocalWannabe Sat 11-Feb-17 22:21:35

My advice if the OP (and others) is still checking this thread...

It is hard! Trying to find if any schools have places and then having an address so you can be on the waiting list is a total pain! It's hard not having a plan you can rely on. You can really only do that if you choose private schools.

I would say that places do come up - even when it feels they won't! Since we've been in our local primary school (which didn't have places for either of mine when I was trying to enquire last Feb/March/April/May for a Sept start) it has had new children join throughout this year in addition to the place for my Year 3 which we got in early July and my Year 1 which we got a day into the new term in Sept - it looked full but they do come up! Keep the faith? Or go private ;)

LocalWannabe Sat 11-Feb-17 22:26:26

PS What a lot of ex-Dubai people?!?!!? I bet we all have mutual friends in common......Dubai is not that big! grin

Mork79 Thu 06-Apr-17 20:01:47

How funny, I'm also on here researching areas to move from Dubai! How did you ladies narrow down your search? We used to live in central London pre-kids and now need somewhere commutable, pretty with good schools. Looking at Thames Ditton and Walton on Thames, but any advice greatly appreciated as I've randomly selected these areas somewhat... thanks - so confused. Going around in circles!

Smartie16 Tue 30-May-17 23:30:44

Hi there, I am also looking at places to move from Dubai! Looking at Surrey but very confused as to where to go. Used to live in Central pre kids and pre Dubai but have 2 kids (2 yrs and 9mths) looking for greenery, parks, good schools and going around in circles! Thinking Epsom, Oxted, Woking as good commute to London, any advice greatly appreciated!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now