From Oz to ???

(8 Posts)
charmag Wed 22-Mar-17 09:40:09

Hi there, we are hoping to move back to the UK after 10 years in Australia. My parents live in Sussex and hubby will need to work in London so we are looking to locate ourselves somewhere rural or semi-rural in Surrey, Sussex or Hampshire with good transport links to London. Our children will be 6, 4 and 2. We are looking to locate close to or in a village with a family friendly and lively vibe so that we can feel part of a community. Any advice on where to head to or where to avoid would be much appreciated. TIA.

user1488993745 Fri 14-Apr-17 20:15:01

Welcome! Hope the move was a success one. We really moved back from Canada with one 2 year old. How are you finding it so far?

AddlestoneReVampPlease Sat 15-Apr-17 09:51:00

What's your budget?

ecallaghan Wed 26-Apr-17 15:29:56

We've lived in nearby Gomshall for the last 10 years and can honestly say its an amazing place to bring up a family. We have a very diverse demographic in a fabulous location. Both our children have been educated to an outstanding level at Shere Infant and Nursery School with enviable academic results. The school is staffed by a very experienced team and a set of Governors who have their fingers on the pulse of the local community and the need for a provision of excellent education to all children regardless of their backgrounds.
The Surrey Hills are beautiful yes, and their are traffic issues in Shere at times, that said its not full of elderly, it's a very mixed community.

charmag Thu 27-Apr-17 06:01:45

Thanks ecallaghan, I think it must be fate. After looking (remotely) in many different locations the area to the West of Guildford is currently topping the list. I was looking at Shamley green, Wonersh, Albury etc. All this research is being done on a mix of rightmove, mumsnet and street view from my sofa in Sydney! Oh modern life! We are coming over in June to have a look but won't be moving until 2018. I would love to hear any more advice you have on the area. Most sociable villages, best commute times to London, schools to go for and schools to avoid. I'm worried that it will be very difficult to get the kids (will be 5 and 6) into any of the good schools... how on earth does one do this when moving from abroad...arrrgh! Anyway, any insider advice much appreciated on all these points. Thanks a mil

charmag Thu 27-Apr-17 06:03:03

user1488... We haven't yet moved. Not till next year. How was your move and where did you move to?

Bekabeech Sat 13-May-17 00:32:38

Okay - if commuting to London, you might do better in villages like Clandon, the Horsleys, Effingham etc. as they are on a train line to London. Wonersh etc. would all involve getting to Guildford and then commuting in, although you can use a train to do this from Gomshall (or drive over the north downs, but the roads are steep and slippery/pretty impassable in a cold winter).

As for school - if you are going for state, you apply when you have an address, and the LA has to give you a place somewhere. However it is often easier to get a place at the more rural schools. Are you Catholic? or to a lesser extent C of E? they can help get you a place at certain schools.

Lifeisamagic Tue 23-May-17 21:39:25

Look at the Horsell-it has lot's of walks around, excellent school and only 25 min commute to London.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now