Richmond upon Thames
Langdon Down Centre, 2A Langdon Park, Teddington, TW11 9PS
0208 614 5100
Mon-Fri, Sat, 2-5p.m., Saturday 9.30-11.30
The museum at Normansfield in Teddington is situated in the former home of Dr John Langdon Down who brought a revolutionary and enlightened approach to the care of those with all forms of learning disability. His wife Mary, their sons and other members of the Langdon Down family managed Normansfield from 1868 until 1970. It later became an NHS hospital from 1951 until it closed in 1997.
Although Langdon Down's name is most associated with the condition he recognised and was later called Down's Syndrome, the majority of residents at Normansfield and the Royal Earlswood Asylum had a range of learning disabilities.
The museum will contribute to the public understanding of learning disability through events and educational activities. It will also celebrate the achievements of people with learning disabilities.
Times and prices are subject to change. Contact venue before setting out.
Please login first.